- Nearly 25 MILLION children are overweight or obese
- Some experts believe that this generation will be the first in American history to live shorter lives than their parents.
- More than 70% of obese children remain obese into adulthood.
- The number of children with Type II diabetes is rapidly increasing due to being overweight.
Yes, a lot of it has to do with what kids are being fed but I think a larger part of it has to do with the sedentary lifestyle of kids these days! They would rather play baseball on the Wii than actually take a ball and glove outside. Kids these days have strong thumbs but that's about it! But the kids are not the ones to blame. Us, as parents, are responsible for encouraging these kids to go out and play. More importantly, go out and play WITH THEM. Play tag or kickball, not xbox.
Anyway so that leads me to why I posted this blog to begin with. I love what Michelle Obama is doing in the fight against childhood obesity!! Tackling 4 key pillars:
- Getting parents more informed about nutrition and exercise.
- Improving the quality of food in schools.
- Making healthy foods more affordable and accessible for families.
- Focusing on physical education
And just for laughs.. here is my daughter's version::
Resources: People's Health , ABCNews , Clinton Foundation