I'm giving up meat all summer *on weekdays* (I'll explain the weekday part in more detail in a minute). I actually started this yesterday though and am not waiting until the official start of summer but plan to end the challenge August 26th, 2012.
First let me specify: To me, meat does NOT include fish or animal byproducts. I am not becoming a "vegetarian" or "vegan" or anything with a label. I am simply avoiding the flesh of warm blooded animals for the summer (and who knows how long after). I still plan to eat eggs, drink milk, and eat fish but I don't plan to eat chicken, beef, or pork, etc..
I came up with this when I realized that 99% of the decisions I make regarding food typically don't include meat anyway. I am a VEGGIE LOVER - as you can tell above.
I have also done meatless mondays, for the most part, since the beginning of the year and have decided to give myself a challenge, switch things up a bit, and experiment with new food!
Allow me to share with you some of the benefits of being "meatless". Here are the health benefits listed by MeatlessMonday.com:
^ That is enough reason for me!
So now to the weekend part: My good friend Daphne reminded me that Summer is prime time grilling season and if you're at a BBQ that you aren't hosting, a grilled chicken thigh can be a life saver when it comes to saving your plan! Sooo with that being said, if need be, I will allow myself lean protein on the weekends. That doesn't mean I will eat 3 hamburgers every Saturday and Sunday. Just that if the situation arises, which I'm sure it will, that I am at a gathering and the healthiest choice is chicken, then chicken it is.
SO WHO'S IN????
If this is all new to you and you're not sure about doing all week, try participating in Meatless Mondays or committing to going meatless 2-3 days out of the week. If that's too much, try 1 meatless meal per day. You will probably learn how many ways you enjoy your vegetables prepared and how good things like tofu can be. TRY IT! Switch things up a bit. Not to mention, summer time calls for light, refreshing meals and for me, there is nothing more light and refreshing than fruits and veggies!
- Check out any cookbook you already own - there is always a vegetarian section and sometimes a whole grains section as well as a vegetables section. Don't be afraid to try something new.
- Check out Www.meatlessmonday.com for their favorite meatless recipes. Don't be afraid to try something new.
- Google "meatless recipes" and be specific about what you're looking for. If you want something with cheese or with a certain vegetable or grain, put it in there. Don't be afraid to try something new.
- Fitness Magazine's vegetarian meal ideas: Click here. Don't be afraid to try something new.
- I'll post anything I try starting with the bean burgers I had last night when I get home!
Did you get the memo???
It's good for you in all facets of your life. It keeps things fresh! Dull is boring.
sooo..... who's with it?? Let me know in the comments!! I tried to make a poll but it was giving me a hard time lol.